|History of the Olympic
you will learn
|| This lesson will help you understand the history
of the ancient and modern Olympic Games beginning in 1896.
Partnerships and Research Locations
- Can you read these Olympic City names and place them in order
based upon the year of the games?
|| Squaw Valley
| Los Angeles
| St. Moritz
|| Lake Placid
|| St. Louis
|| Mexico City
|| Cortina d’Ampezzo
|| Salt Lake City
- Who originated the first recorded Olympic Games held
in Olympia in 776 B.C.?
- What is the beginning date of the Modern Olympic Games held
- Can you calculate how many years between those games and the
Athens 2004 Olympic Games?
- How many years between to first recorded games and 2004?
- How many Modern Olympic Games have been held?
|3. Maps / Graphs / Charts
- Can you locate all of the Olympic Cities on a world map?
|4. World Language
- Can you estimate how many languages are spoken at the Olympic
- What are the official languages of the Olympic Games?
- How would you know that these languages were designated as
the official languages?
- How do host cities communicate with persons speaking many languages?
- How has science contributed to the selection of a site for an
Olympic location or games?
|6. Social Studies
- Do you know the Olympic Creed and the Olympic Motto?
- Where would you find these?
- Can you recite them?
- Does your school or club have a motto?
- What other organizations have a motto?
|7. Health / Fitness
- What are some of the health or fitness concerns that are present
at all of the Olympic Games?
- Do these always involve athletes?
- Are there concerns for spectators?
- How has technology changed from the first Olympic Games in
Athens in 1896 and the Athens 2004 Olympic Games?
- Can you chart the evolution of several technologies such as
a cameras or types of voice communications?
| 9. Creative Expression
- Can you make Olympic Badges or pins for the winter and summer
- Could you design an Olympic Flag for your school’s Olympic
| 10. Careers
- What does IOC stand for?
- Who serves on the IOC and how are they elected?
- Can you identify ten ways that volunteers
are used in the Olympic Games?
- Can you write a detailed, historical report about one of the
Olympic Games, including dates, location, sports, venues, notable
athletes, torch relay, and other pertinent details?
| 13. Presentation
- Can you present the history of the modern Olympic Games,
beginning and ending in Athens, using a large world map?
Copyright 2003 efg Educational Resources, Inc.